1. Setting Up Patient Portal Messaging:
A. Patients Messages must be turned on in System Settings --> General --> "PatientPortalMessagingEnabled" = True.
- Setting "PatientPortalMessagingEnabled" = True allows for the Messaging Tab to be visible on the (1) patient dashboard and and (2) Messaging Module.
B. Default Patient Permissions Template Settings:
1) Super Admin --> Right Side Menu --> Dictionaries--> Permission Templates --> Default Patient Permission Templates:
1.a. Patient Setting L0584 "Messages" must have Create, Edit, Delete and View selected.
1.b. Setting L0584 "Messages" allows for the Messaging Tab to be visible in the patient portal.
2) Patient Setting L0700 "Messages-Attachments" must have View, Create, Edit and Delete selected in order for any document attachments to be opened by the patient from a portal message. **This is a separate permission from the Documents Tab in the patient portal ***
C. User Patient Messaging Delegation:
1) From Super Admin --> Users --> Expand filters --> Search for and select provider user to modify --> Scroll to Staff Information Modal --> Locate Patient Messaging Delegation
2) OR From Messaging --> Secure Messaging --> Settings -->
3)If provider desires to delegate patient messaging, search and select user to delegate access.
a) Multiple users may be selected to delegate access.
b) Remove users by clicking on the X. next to the users name.
c) If provider does not wish to view conversations with patients in their inbox and wishes for the messages to go soley to their delegate staff member, select "Do Not send Conversations With Patients" checkbox.
d) If provider does not desire messaging with patients in any form, self or delegate, the "Do Not send Conversations With Patients" checkbox should be selected and NO user delegation should be selected.
D. Patient Portal Messaging Notifications
1) Patient can only receive TEXT NOTIFICATIONS for new patient portal messages if:
a. Patient --> Right Side Menu --> Person Details --> "Receive SMS Alerts" checkbox is selected
2) Patient can turn on/off text/email NOTIFICATIONS in Patient Portal --> Profile --> Settings:
2. Sending a Patient Message:
A. Via Patient Dashboard --> Send a Message to a Patient:
1) Fill in subject line, set your priority and type your message.
2) Attach any necessary documents from the patient's chart, or upload, scan or link to important items.
3) Send your message.
B. Via Messaging Module --> Secure Messaging --> New Message
1) Select the "Patient" radio dial
2) Search and select the patient you wish to message.
3) Fill in subject line, set your priority and type your message.
4) Attach any necessary documents from the patient's chart, or upload, scan or link to important items.
5) Send your message.
3. Receiving Patient Messages
A. Access your Messages in the Messaging Module --> Secure Messages --> Inbox
1) Receive notification of a new Secure Message on your home screen from the blue "Documents and Messages New Notifications" indicator.
2) The person icon next to a message indicates this message is from a patient.
3) Click on the messaging line item you wish to open.
B. Read and Respond:
1) Link to patient chart.
2) Reply, Forward Internally and/or Create a Document of your Email chain.